Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Baking Memories

I believe that as long as I keep baking, my grandmother hasn't really gone. I believe baking is the best way for me to express love for my people in the present and honor the people of my past, all in one batch.
So ends Emily Smith's loving "This I Believe" essay, from Morning Edition: Baking by Senses and Memories (11/20/2006- 4:18). And what better way to get ready for the comfortable indulgence of Thanksgiving.

Musings
  • While baking is a universal in human culture, it is also, at least as a family endeavor, perhaps no longer a common element in our lives. What can we learn about ourselves by changes in the pattern of baking in our lives?

  • Emily Smith focuses on pecan pie. What baked item would you focus on in your essay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home